What Should You Do After a Car Accident?
If you find yourself or someone you know involved in a car accident, it’s important to understand what to expect during this experience. Statistically, there are over six million car accidents each year in the United States. Most of these accidents only involve property damage to vehicles. However, one-third of accidents involve personal injury to a passenger or driver. By knowing what to expect, you can make this unpleasant experience less overwhelming by following our recommended steps below.
What to Do Immediately Following the Accident
- Don’t drive away from the auto accident, even if it’s a minor accident.
- Keep your emergency flashers on to help to alert oncoming traffic. If it’s dark outside, use a flashlight to protect yourself.
- Call the police to let them know an accident occurred.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Record the other vehicle’s make and model and the license plate number. Ask for the other driver’s personal information and write it down yourself or take a photo with your cell phone. Get their name, address, phone number, and insurance information.
- It is a good idea to take photos, so you have a more accurate record of the scene.
- If you or anyone has injuries, seek medical attention. It is common that the effects of injuries take place a day or two after the accident. We recommended you contact your physician or visit the local emergency room for more serious injuries. Minor accidents can have serious effects, so make sure to seek the necessary medical attention as soon as possible. Call our office and ask for help if you are concerned about funding to pay for medical care.
- Report the accident to your insurance company. We also recommend you contact our attorneys before calling the insurance company, even your insurance company, to understand your rights before proceeding.
Our experienced OC auto accident attorneys at Allen Flatt Ballidis & Leslie provide reliable legal representation that will protect your rights and we can advise you whether or not an accident may warrant legal action. We offer a free consultation, so just give us a call at 949-752-7474, and we will help you navigate your particular situation.
Even if you aren't sure you have a case, give us a call at (888) 752-7474, or fill out our Free Case Review below.
We are here to help.