Orange County Slip and Fall Lawyer Discusses Fall-Related Injury Claims in John Wayne Airport
John Wayne Airport in Orange County constitutes the primary airport serving Orange County and the surrounding areas of Southern California.The airport saw 4,584,147 people board planes during a recent one-year period, and massive amounts of cargo moved through the airport.The combination of TSA security screening delays, long lines at check-in counters, and gridlock traffic force many travelers to rush through the airport.Given that John Wayne Airport is the sole major airport servicing Orange County, millions of people face the risk of suffering an injury in a fall when proper maintenance and clean up precautions are not observed.The chaos and crowds create the risk of slipping on a puddle of spilled coffee or tripping on construction obstructions in walkways.
The size and activity that characterizes the Orange County airport create a significant risk that weary travelers will experience a slip and fall. Our Orange County slip and fall attorneys recognize that falls often result in debilitating injuries that include traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), broken hips, fractured arms or legs, and other severe injuries.We represent fall victims and their families with compassion and tenacity in pursuit of justice and a full financial recovery.If you or a loved one has been injured in a fall, we urge you to contact our experienced Orange County slip and fall injury lawyers at (949) 752-7474 to schedule a free consultation.
The entity that owns or controls the premises within an airport typically has a legal duty to keep the massive areas inside the airport adequately maintained, so travelers, guests, and employees experience a safe travel experience.However, safety precautions and maintenance often fall by the wayside.Carpeting can bunch up causing the walkway to become uneven; the lighting in certain areas of the airport might be lacking; or wet weather can cause the flooring to become slippery.Elderly airport travelers face an even greater risk because falls constitute the leading cause of both fatal and non-fatal accidents among seniors.According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC), one-third of older adults suffers an injury in a fall each year.
Orange County Airport Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Explain Fall Accidents Present a Serious Risk
Although many people perceive falls to be rare accidents that cause only minor injuries, government statistics provide a different picture.The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that falls constitute a leading cause of unintentional injury in the U.S. annually.Approximately, 8.9 million people must visit an emergency room because of a fall each year.Falls also account for 25,000 fatalities per year which make slipping and tripping accidents the second leading unintentional cause of death according to the NSC.
Evidence Important in Proving Liability & Damages Suffered in an Airport Fall
While every fall in an airport that causes serious injury or loss of life will be based on different circumstances, there are certain types of evidence that our law firm typically gathers.Success in a slip and fall lawsuit usually will involve collection and presentation of the following types of evidence:
- Photos and video footage of the accident scene
- Law enforcement investigation of the incident
- Objective signs of injury often obtained during a prompt visit to the ER or your doctor
- Witnesses supporting the victim’s account of how the fall occurred
- Promptly seeking medical attention and following through on all treatment and rehabilitative therapy
- Medical records and other evidence that reveal good health before the accident without significant pre-existing conditions
- Lack of subsequent accidents, incidents, or illnesses to explain your injuries
- Torn clothing, damage to suitcases, and other physical evidence suggesting a fall
Admittedly, this is far from an exhaustive list and not every lawsuit will require all of these categories of evidence.However, a review of these categories of evidence guides injury victims who suffer severe injury or the loss of a family member in a fall.
Several common mistakes tend to derail a promising trip and fall accident claim, such as:
- Lack of Objective Signs of Injury: Lay witnesses such as family members or other travelers often can attest to physical injury.However, many injuries do not reveal obvious outward signs of injury, so prompt medical attention to obtain a diagnostic analysis is essential.
- Failure to Seek Prompt Legal Advice: Slip and fall accidents require timely inspection of the premises, investigation of the circumstances, and meticulous documentation of medical expenses.The passage of time compromises the ability of your attorney to gather relevant evidence and build a persuasive claim for damages.
- Lack of Liability Investigation: Our OC slip and fall attorneys recommend always summoning law enforcement to your airport fall accident to avoid the loss of critical evidence of liability.If you work promptly in retaining legal representation, this also reduces the risk of key evidence or witnesses disappearing.
If you suffer a significant injury, or a loved one dies in a slip and fall accident anywhere in Orange County or Southern California, our premises liability lawyers provide effective representation of personal injury victims. Our lawyers at Allen Flatt Ballidis & Leslie offer a free consultation so call us at 949-752-7474 to schedule your free consultation today.
Even if you aren't sure you have a case, give us a call at (888) 752-7474, or fill out our Free Case Review below.
We are here to help.