Costa Mesa Car Accident Lawyers
Car accidents have become a common sight on U.S. roadways, and Costa Mesa is no exception. In a single recent year, 11 vehicles and 12 people were involved in fatal traffic crashes in our city, as reported at City-Data.com. Distracted, impaired, or otherwise negligent drivers put other motorists at risk. If you have been injured in a car accident caused by another driver, you have a right to pursue compensation for your losses.
A traffic crash can happen in any number of ways. The following are some common types of car accidents:
- Rear-end collisions: This type of wreck occurs frequently, particularly in heavy traffic. Distracted driving, speeding, and tailgating can all contribute to a car crashing into the vehicle ahead. Whiplash is a common injury in rear-end collisions because of the whip-like motion of the head and neck that can occur when a vehicle is struck from behind.
- T-bone collisions: Also known as broadsides and sideswipes, T-bone accidents are particularly dangerous for occupants on the side of the car that is struck. When a vehicle is impacted on the side, there are no airbags or crumple zones, but only a car door between the driver or passenger and the force of impact. A car that is T-boned can spin-off, hitting another vehicle and starting a chain reaction, multi-car pileup. Establishing liability is more complex in these cases.
- Head-on collisions: Although not as common as other types of automobile accidents, head-on collisions are often deadly when they occur. The force of impact when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions collide can cause severe injuries for the people involved. Head-on crashes can be fatal or catastrophic.
- Rollovers: In this type of crash, the vehicle tips over onto its side or on its roof. Rollovers have a high fatality rate. They can occur when a driver makes a sudden movement, such as swerving to avoid an obstacle in the road. SUVs, trucks, vans, and vehicles with higher centers of gravity are more likely to roll over than sedans or coupes.
Road and weather conditions can be contributing factors, but most car accidents are caused by some type of driver error or negligence. Common causes of auto accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Anything that diverts the driver’s attention away from operating a motor vehicle is dangerous. Texting while driving is particularly alarming, as it requires manual, visual, and cognitive awareness. Driver distraction claimed 3,166 lives in the U.S. in a single recent year, as reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Impaired driving: It is against the law everywhere in the U.S. to drive under the influence of alcohol, methamphetamines, marijuana, opioids, or any potentially impairing drug, whether it is illegal, prescription, or over the counter.
- Drowsy driving: Driving when you have not slept for 20 or more hours is equivalent to driving with a blood alcohol concentration of .08%, the legal limit, as stated by the National Safety Council. Sleep deprivation can dramatically affect a driver’s reaction time, awareness of hazards, and the ability to sustain attention.
- Aggressive driving: This combination of dangerous driving behaviors may include speeding, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, failing to yield the right-of-way, and failing to obey traffic signs and signals. Aggressive driving puts everyone on the roadways at risk.
If you have been hurt in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries. Your best chance of recovering the maximum compensation available under the law is to have an experienced Costa Mesa personal injury lawyer by your side. Our legal team can handle the details of your case, deal with the insurance companies on your behalf, and fight to protect your rights, while you focus on recovering from your accident.
- At Allen, Flatt, Ballidis & Leslie, we start planning your case from the initial meeting, and, unlike other lawyers, we keep you informed of the status in real-time.
- Our firm was founded in 1974, and our attorneys have more than four decades of experience.
- We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients.
Whether you were injured in a hit-and-run, bus crash, rideshare collision, or any other type of crash, call us at (949) 752-7474 to schedule a consultation with a Costa Mesa auto accident attorney. There are no time limits or restrictions on your initial meeting with us.
So, go on - call (888) 752-7474, or send over our free case
review form, even if you're not sure. We're here to help.